During my first week in LA I was kind of a tasmanian devil of productivity. I was used to the regional markets: having to research theatre and film companies, going through with a fine tooth comb finding every little acting opportunity and going out for everything that was feasible within the laws of space time continuum. The same process can be applied out here, there is just an extreme abundance of opportunities, casting sites, acting studios, casting directors, agents, etc. that combing through them all can be staggering and damn near impossible. But I dove in, spending my first week registering with casting websites, joining AFTRA (oh goodbye $1,660 to union dues), submitting for and going on auditions. I was a little intense and therefore a little drained after that week. I have since tried to compartmentalize my tasks so my ADD brain doesn't try to follow 798 tangents at once and short circuit resulting in me, facedown on the keyboard, in a pool of my own drool.
I do feel like I am settling in more. I have connected with a few friends out here from past projects and from college, even though people's schedules and the sprawl of Los Angeles and it's various neighborhoods sometimes makes it difficult. Also during my first week, I joined up with an indie film collective called We Make Movies. Their mission is simple: get your shit made and make the film industry suck less. They hold workshops where screenwriters can have their scripts read aloud by actors and, afterwards, they get feedback on it. I also attended a screening of short films that their organization helped get made. I've already made a few friends within the group...it's just a great motley crew of folks: intelligent, talented, funny, driven and extremely creative.
As far as doing my own stuff, it's been touch and go. I'm sure some people would say I'm doing great for only having been here a month, but the overachiever in me, of course, is always reaching skywards. I was called back for a Sara Lee commercial (mmmmm pie) and have developed a short film idea that I am currently transforming into some semblance of a script. I also shot some lovely headshots with my housemate at Venice Beach. I want to get so much more done, but everything costs money (which is rapidly running out, as I expected it to) and I'm trying not to short-circuit. I started acting classes with Fran Montano at the Actors Workout Studio, which is helping to remind me that I am actively working on something at all times.
But there is so much I want to do. My mind is constantly leaping to non-acting activities that I want to learn: ukelele, rock climbing, scuba diving, banjo, bungee jumping off the Bridge to Nowhere... Now I know my penchant for not being able to stay in one place very long, so maybe all these things are ventures I should actually pursue, to keep my mind actively learning, never getting bored or complacent. Or something like that. At any rate, I have jotted all my lovely things I want to do on lists sprinkled decoratively amid the Womb Room. I'm still furiously gung-ho about acting, I just want other projects to make me feel good, too.
So I will keep everyone posted on these endeavors (both acting and non). Speaking of acting, I did get a callback for a short film shooting in Paris in December....Now wouldn't that be a lovely holiday present to me...Oh and did I mention I went to Vegas last weekend? Maybe in a later post...
Bonne nuit,
Jessica
My fine foxy housemates and me, Viva Las Vegas

No comments:
Post a Comment